Sports Betting Acumen

Sports Betting Acumen Forum

Share picks, selections, and your sports betting success stories with your fellow handicappers!

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Horse Racing
 Boxcar's Handicapping Methodology
 Taulbot Lessons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sweep11

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  14:38:16  Show Profile Send sweep11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #1)

For those interested E-bay has two series of Taulbot's lessons for sale, both the 11 vol set and the Pro set.

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  21:14:30  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #2)

quote:
Originally posted by sweep11

For those interested E-bay has two series of Taulbot's lessons for sale, both the 11 vol set and the Pro set.

Hey, Sweep, I'd love to read the description on that material. Can you supply link, please. Thanks.

Boxcar
Go to Top of Page

gl45

Italy
110 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  03:16:27  Show Profile Send gl45 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #3)

I have "Lessons in Handicapping', (11 lessons), and "Final Handicapping Procedure", (10 Lessons). In 1964 Ray Taulboy did privately published, for his students, "Racing Angles". This little book has a detailed description of 55 angles. Here is the link http://books.search.ebay.com/ray-taulbot_Books_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ267
Go to Top of Page

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  07:45:25  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #4)

Thanks a bunch for the link.

Yup, these appear to be the real McCoys. All the lessons are there. The bummer is that the seller is splitting up the series instead of auctioning off the entire course as one complete package. I think it might be a very tough nut to crack for any one person to get the entire course. Probably the only way to have a real shot at obtaining all four series is to be willing to bid a high price for each series. The lessons are worth their weight in gold because there's nothing out in the handicapping market today that even remotely resembles the in-depth contents of those lessons. Almost everything out there today is quantitative-oriented.

Boxcar

Go to Top of Page

Buzz

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  21:14:13  Show Profile Send Buzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #5)

I managed to get the Angles Manual $26, and the Racing Lessons in Handicapping for $81.

The three items above were out of my reach. The bidding didn't get going until 3 minutes to closing. At 3 min to closing the average price of the three items was about $50.

The seller was selling an estate and had no idea what the material was and or who Ray Taulbot was. The buyers were ebay vendors according to their ebay history. One vendor bought the Racing Angles and the Extention course.

Boxcar was that you?

Buzz

Edited by - Buzz on 04/20/2008 21:27:29
Go to Top of Page

MDCapper

USA
625 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  05:09:51  Show Profile Send MDCapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #6)

Yeah...I was watching the bidding as well. Didn't realize they were eBay vendors...I thought about bidding, but then I figured..."Why?".

I think the angle book had 55 angles? According to my count, Boxcar has already given us about 100+ angles.

I guess from a historical perspective it might have been nice to have them...honor Taulbot and all that...but considering that Boxcar has taken the angles and tweaked them over the last 20+ years...I think this auction should show us all the value of what Boxcar has given us.

Thanks, Boxcar!
Go to Top of Page

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  06:58:49  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #7)

quote:
Originally posted by Buzz

I managed to get the Angles Manual $26, and the Racing Lessons in Handicapping for $81.

The three items above were out of my reach. The bidding didn't get going until 3 minutes to closing. At 3 min to closing the average price of the three items was about $50.

The seller was selling an estate and had no idea what the material was and or who Ray Taulbot was. The buyers were ebay vendors according to their ebay history. One vendor bought the Racing Angles and the Extention course.

Boxcar was that you?

Buzz

Nope, that was not me. I'm actually surprised they went for that much, considering that qualitative approaches are very much out of vogue today. To put the final auction prices in perspective,though -- back in the late '60s I paid $5. per lesson from Taulbot, which came to $195. for the entire 39-lesson course.

While here, I'll take the opportunity to give everyone an update on the Table II phase of this AM project. Bill began work on this major enhancement over this weekend. Coming right out of the chute, we had to modify my initial layout recommendations due to space limitations. But we did it without materially affecting the output. There's some pretty tricky programming involved with some of these ratings and, of course, I'll have to beta test it. Realistically, we're probably still looking at a few weeks before a release to users .

Meanwhile, top tier PTs in this current generation of SUM continue to crank out big winners -- such as that $93. bomb at MNR
Friday night, on Saturday a $58. winner at LS, a $61. winner at PIM, the $130. winner at KEE yesterday, also yesterday a $50. winner at the Big A, a $61. pony at SA, etc., etc. Needless to say we're very excited about the future of AM and believe that this next generation will produce even more winners at these kinds of prices.

Boxcar

Go to Top of Page

sweep11

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  10:04:16  Show Profile Send sweep11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #8)

"I'm actually surprised they went for that much, considering that qualitative approaches are very much out of vogue today."

Might be my fault for mentioning it on this forum. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  10:40:59  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #9)

quote:
Originally posted by sweep11

"I'm actually surprised they went for that much, considering that qualitative approaches are very much out of vogue today."

Might be my fault for mentioning it on this forum. Sorry!

You're not at fault for anything. The free market is what is, and the winning bidders, evidently, sensed there was value to be had in those old lessons.

Boxcar
Go to Top of Page

delayjf

80 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  10:53:57  Show Profile Send delayjf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #10)

There is another seller "Shellwin1" that is selling copies of the lessons.
Go to Top of Page

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  08:29:20  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #11)

Did anyone here bid on that auction? What did the material sell for?

Boxcar
Go to Top of Page

sweep11

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  09:15:37  Show Profile Send sweep11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #12)

I didn't see what the final price was but I believe the required opening bid was $50. The problem with this offer was that it was a copy. Aren't there copywrite laws???

Indications are the seller will be selling more copies - all he/she has to do is run to the copy machine -- better than working for a living.
Go to Top of Page

gl45

Italy
110 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  11:30:58  Show Profile Send gl45 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #13)

the most recent was sold for $26.00
It's an expanded "A" angle method with many example races.
Was listed as "Price Profit Handicapping"

Edited by - gl45 on 05/13/2008 11:34:46
Go to Top of Page

sweep11

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  12:09:16  Show Profile Send sweep11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #14)

http://www.americanturf.com/pace/rayarticles.cfm?articleid=16

Most readers of this forum know that a lot of of Taulbot's angles are available at the AMERICAN TURF MONTHLY - Free. The above address is his 'A' angle. Probably could have saved someone $26.
Go to Top of Page

boxcar

USA
1825 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  21:14:02  Show Profile Send boxcar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #15)

quote:
Originally posted by gl45

the most recent was sold for $26.00
It's an expanded "A" angle method with many example races.
Was listed as "Price Profit Handicapping"

Oh, yes, I've heard of that method. Thanks for the info. The A angle was one of Taulbot's personal favorites.

Take care,
Boxcar
Go to Top of Page

xtb

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  20:41:40  Show Profile Send xtb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Post #16)

quote:
Originally posted by boxcar

Did anyone here bid on that auction? What did the material sell for?

Boxcar

It didn't go for as much the second time, $50 vs $127.50 for the "Final Lessons".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150243744847

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sports Betting Acumen Forum © 2004 -2014 Sports Betting Acumen Go To Top Of Page