At Sports Betting Acumen, we are talking about the playoffs - The NFL Playoffs. Come January, use our betting tips to make a killing during the NFL playoffs!
One of my all-time favorite sports quotes is of then Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Mora, when asked about his team making the playoffs, replying in a high-pitched incredulous voice, 'Playoffs? How can we be talking about the playoffs?" Well, here at Sports Betting Acumen, we are indeed talking about the playoffs - The NFL Playoffs.
The NFL is far and away the most popular professional sport. It is also enjoyable to watch. Many sports fans who wouldn't dare make a wager during the rest of the year, start putting money down at their favorite sportsbooks when the beloved NFL playoffs begin. This is especially true of the Super Bowl - the biggest sporting event and wagering opportunity in the world.
Many people follow the NFL playoffs simply because their favorite team is involved. For many others, however, they see the NFL playoffs as the Holy Grail of betting opportunities. This isn't really true, but the betting on the NFL playoffs can be a money making proposition as long as you follow a few simple tips and don't get too carried away.
Fortunately, you have happened upon Sports Betting Acumen, home of free sports betting tips and information. Please check out our tips for betting the NFL playoffs.
- Look at the big picture instead of using tunnel vision when handicapping the NFL playoffs. Use the entire regular season to gauge a team's chances in the playoffs. NFL teams are in the playoffs because they had a solid 16 game season - not because they got hot at the end of the season.
- Use the internet to book your action. Many people do not take notice of the NFL season until the playoffs begin. Many wait until the Super Bowl. Don't despair if you fall into this category. You can easily open an account at one our recommended sportsbooks and get your action down in time for the game.
- Favor the underdog. Casual sports bettors tend to bet on the favorite more than the underdog. This makes intuitive sense when you consider that the favorites are also playing at home. The odds makers respond to this my shading the line in favor of the underdog. This is a value play but one that makes sense, particularly in the later rounds of the playoffs when teams are more evenly matched.
- When considering total bets (over/under), favor the under. This could change if you are 'teasing" lines. In the playoffs, good teams try to be efficient on offense and protect field position, while letting the defense win the game. Many sports bettors also, for various psychological reasons, favor the over. Take the value by going under the total.
- Avoid the proposition bets. This seems like obvious advice, but for some reason, sports fans really get wrapped up in these sucker bets. Do people really need to bet on the coin toss of the Super Bowl? Guess it depends on whom you ask. Our advice is to steer clear of these bets and focus your play on sides and totals.
As you can see, the principles for betting on the NFL playoffs are similar to other football betting principles. We are looking for defense to win out over offense and we are looking, as always, for value. In the playoffs, the value most often lies with the underdogs.